4/17/13

Make Up/Challenge/Skill DAY

Anyone that knows about the Paleo Diet, what are your thoughts about this video below?  I feel like she is doing a great job of informing a massive amount of people on the “myths” of the paleo diet without ever pointing out true paleo dieters know better.

April “COOL” Board

***Make some goals for yourself for April

–  Curtis – 255# Front Squat
–  Kady – Muscle Up to Ring Handstand Push Up
–  Tara – 1st Pull Up!!!
–  Andrew – 1st Muscle Up!!!
–  Adam S. – 215# Clean
–  Brandie – 1st C2B Pull Up!
–  Sheila – 1st C2B Pull Up!
–  Tony – 260# Clean & Jerk
–  Claire – 105# Clean & Jerk
–  Emily – 1st Pull Up!!!
–  Kevin C. – 1st Pull Up!!!

8 Responses to 4/17/13

1. Meghan says:

This was interesting, but I think she was trying to prove the point that you can’t really call the diet “Paleo” because of the completely different circumstances that our world has now. She seems upset by the fact that we don’t actually hunt our own meet, or eat wild bananas, or stick with foods from specific regions we live in.

The problem is that everywhere I have read information on paleo, which is mostly from Robb Wolfe, as well as Loren Cordain, and Joe Friel, is that they speak specifically to the physiological and metabolic responses our bodies have to certain foods, not the prehistoric availability we would have depending on our region, or what season we were in. It is my understanding that the paleolithic aspect of the diet is a baseline and a starting point, and we have since adapted these key principles that remain true about the human body and applied it to todays world.

• Jim says:

I think the undergrad soccer player from GrandView is brighter than the Anthropologist Phd from Harvard.

• Claire says:

I agree with Meghan. Christina seems to be studying the diet and disproving the name given to the style of eating, but like Meghan said, the “paleolithic aspect of the diet is a baseline” and we are using the idea of what they used to eat in combination with what is available to us today. The main focus of the paleo diet is the benefits of eating this food and the way that our bodies break it down and use the nutrients, compared to the way our bodies break down and utilize processed foods. All she has done is “debunked” the name.

Here is a link from WebMD (http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/diet-review-the-caveman-paleo-diet) that talks about the diet and how “Clinical trials have shown that the Paleo Diet is the optimum diet that can lower the risk of cardiovascular disease, blood pressure, markers of inflammation, help with weight loss, reduce acne, promote optimum health and athletic performance.”

It also talks about other peoples concerns with the diet such as the lack of grains and dairy. People who have issues with that can incorporate those items into their eating habits and still have a healthy diet, again basing the premise of healthy eating off of the paleo diet.

2. Brandon says:

She uses Paleo as a way to discuss the way our diets have changed and how humans have genetically modified plant species for our consumption. It doesn’t feel like an argument against the diet, itself. Just that ancient people didn’t eat anything like the book suggests. I think she actually backs the principles of the diet at the end by saying we need to eat whole, varied foods, not processed crap.

I did one of Bobby’s workouts today with Brian: 15 min. AMRAP of 1 power clean (165#), 3 negative HSPUs (45# plates), and 5 ring dips. 11 rds. + 3 reps.

…and further self-recognition of my need to eat well.

4. Mark says:

I think she makes some valid points regarding agricultural adaptations, but she also cherry picks paleo “recommendations” which may not reflect the larger paleo community. Much of the paleo literature I’ve read recommends staying away from corn-fed meat and instead going for wild or organic, grass-fed meats…and includes consumption of organ meats (which I find personally disgusting) and bone broth. And I’ve never read that we should eat raw meat, which is on her slide at around 4:40 in the presentation.

Most credible paleo evangelists recommend a diet high in vegetables and organic, grass-fed meat, with some fruit, seeds and nuts. As Brandon indicates above, I think she is actually touting such a diet toward the end of her presentation.

Mark Sisson refutes some of the same points in his review of the “Paleofantasy” book, written by Marlene Zuk. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-it-all-just-a-paleofantasy/#axzz2QjNagIYB

Most credible paleo evangelists realize and recognize that we aren’t going to be able to live and eat exactly like our ancestors; however, this doesn’t invalidate the

5. kady says:

Well Todd, we should have gone head to head! 🙂 I did:

1 power clean (165#)
    3 deficit HSPU (25# plates)
    5 ring dips

11 + 3

She may have made decent points that eating a “paleo” diet today doesn’t really mean we are eating a diet identical to that of our ancestors, but then she seems to basically endorse many of the ideas of the paleo diet. (Eating whole food, not processed foods, eating fresh and seasonal foods). So after watching it, I’m not really sure what her point was. Just to debunk the title “paleo”, as Claire said?

This reminds me of when I’ve tried to explain how I eat to people I work with, then they start telling me how Paleolithic people actually did eat grains. I definitely don’t know enough to try and have that debate. I’m more interested in our bodies responses to food. And I know I feel better when I eat “paleo”.