Everything Looks Cooler in Slow Motion

These were some of the MANLIEST moments in my life prior to the video below.  The other reason I put this up is because Justin will eventually leak them out so why not 🙂

And the below video is literally what has been happening inside my mind since last Friday…….

I have been doing CrossFit for a little over 3 years now and reflecting back on the experiences and transformations makes me incredibly happy and proud of what “515” has become and means to me.  We have been through a lot, some good, some bad, but for the most part I wouldn’t change a thing.  Looking back at the past only makes me realize how fortunate we are to have the opportunity to train and train with all of the amazing people that walk through our doors each day.  The good ones just seem to “stick.”  Disclaimer, by good I mean absolutely nothing about athletic ability.  I am still not sure what it is about the people that “stick” or the atmosphere that has been created, but something (if not multiple somethings) special happens inside those 4 walls each and every day.  It simply blows my mind what we all begin to accept as “normal.”  CrossFit teaches people to work hard towards their goals and to no longer accept mediocrity as normal, in the gym as well as in all aspects of life.  However special CrossFit is in itself, 515 represents what I believe CrossFit to truly be in its purest form.  Amazing athletes, even better people, friends that get together to push themselves mentally and physically because they know it is making them better….at life 🙂  I watch people do things and accomplish goals that they never thought were possible.  Having absolutely anything to do with that feeling of accomplishment they have is the most rewarding experience I have ever had.  And I get to experience that A LOT, because apparently 515 breeds freaks (in a good way).  I have always believed that actually writing down your goals is the best way to make it a legitimate and attainable action in your own mind.  As Lance always says to me, you have to make the lift in your mind before ever touching the bar, the rest is easy.  Once you put in the work and break that mental barrier the rest is simply the rewarding part.  Not trying to make this too much about me, but I made picking up and putting 300# overhead a goal and let it consume me for waaaay too long.  It was so far from the type of athlete that I used to be and in my mind I literally thought it was never something I would do.  When I started CrossFit 3 years ago I believe my max clean & jerk was 185#.  Exactly one year ago the most weight I had clean & jerked was 225#.  On Friday I hit 300#.  If someone would have told me I could do that 3 years ago I would have thought they were crazy.  If someone would have told me I could do that a year ago I would have laughed at them.  If someone says that to me tomorrow I will ask them if they care if I try a little heavier.  I still do not put olympic lifting up on some untouchable pedestal that a lot of CrossFit seems to do, but it was something I never thought was in my DNA.  I guess my point with all of this is that CrossFit and more specifically 515 can literally tear down physical and mental barriers and allow you to become something you never thought was possible.  To me 515 represents a toughness and will to be the best you possibly can, while doing it the right way.  I am humbled at the opportunities I have been given and only hope to never take something so special for granted.  Thank you to each and every person that walks in those doors each day.

This entry was posted in Videos. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Everything Looks Cooler in Slow Motion

1. Meghan says:

Very well said Bobby Noyce. And great job, I think its important to see the people who lead others to go after their goals and you set a great example. You are a very big part of why CrossFit515 is so amazing.

2. Michelle says:

You’re incredible Bobby; coach & athlete. You set a great example & lead people to believe in themselves. CrossFit 515 is a wonderful place & you’re a big part of why that is. Congrats on the 300# clean & jerk & thanks for sharing your awesome video 🙂

3. Danielle says:

This was so great to read! It’s endearing to know that you guys, as coaches, are working to fight your own battles inside the gym and workouts as well. The atmosphere at the gym is so supportive and inspiring, and that is certainly because of the attitude and leadership we see from you (and the other coaches). Congrats on the meeting your goals! I feel like this spring and summer is going to be a pretty exciting time for the athletes of 515! (Even though we all blow up the cool board all the time…) Reading your story is so inspiring. 🙂

4. Jordanne says:

Well put, sir. It’s been an honour and a privilege to be part of it all.

5. Wes says:

Awesome story and well said, Bobby. Goal setting is SO important and the lessons and skills learned at 515 can be applied to any aspect of you life. Can’t explain how much you have helped me and taught me those little tricks that allow me to do things I never thought of. Congrats and looking forward to another great year. I’m glad and honored to be part of the 515 team!

6. Tiffany Kragnes says:

I agree Bobby, that 515 does breed “freaks”! But I’m o.k. with that. As you stated more eloquently than I can, it’s amazing what we can do once we break through the mental and emotional barriers that we all carry on the inside. No one knows what goes through my crazed out mind half the time (although I can be pretty vocal on the crazy crap that goes on in my world :). Yet, there we all are, from different walks of life, (and in my case, different levels of craziness), walking through those doors where we are all equal, on the same playing field, pushing ourselves to be the best we can be. We couldn’t break through those barriers, those that no one else can see, without the help of some awesome trainers and the 515 family. Call me a crazed out crossfit freak, but I say I’m a crazed out 515 freak! I can live with that…..

The manifesto?! Beautiful words, brother. Love it – thanks for sharing 🙂 So happy I got to see THE 300# C&J! Since 515 means so much to you, you should think of a way to commemorate how important it is to you … hmm, I’ll think of something …

8. taylor says:

Congrats on the insane amount of weight thrown over your head!!

I have to say I am appreciative for you & Jaime’s coaching…We talked about this at Danielles, and other members do this to other as well, but theres been days when I came in and had a weight in mind but then quickly told by a 515 coach that “I think you can go heavier”…you almost have to because you know the coach is watching…and in the end you are greatful for the encouragement because without it sometimes its hard to get that increase in weight or speed.
    Im also going to add that my goal list looks really small compared to yours…I have 2 goals but it will increase by the end of this pregnancy!
    Again, Great job Bobby!
    **Again, if my grammar is poor its pregnancy brain…**

Thanks for writing this Bobby! And, more importantly, thanks for putting it out there. Here’s to the 515 pppphhhrrrreeeaaaakkksss! You, my friend, are at the top of the list.

10. Annette says:

OMG that video is AWE…SOME!!!

And I couldn’t agree more:
    It simply blows my mind what we all begin to accept as “normal.”

Thanks for sharing, Bobby! I definitely +1 to all the comments above. I am so grateful every time I get to walk through those doors at 515 and take on a WOD (a “new normal” crazy intense battle of mental & physical challenges)>/i> with all the great people (ahem, freaks) that make it a special place.

Congrats, again on the lift. BEAST.

I mean, yeah, could not have said any of that any better. Truly incredible stuff! And, like Bobby, I get the awesome opportunity to witness most of the amazing-ness all the time that it does start to seem normal. Crazy to think about!
    But out of everything, getting to witness this lift in person on Friday was definitely one of the coolest things I’ve seen yet…I think mostly because I was there for ALL the attempts and hype leading up to it 🙂
    So proud of you, Bobby. And PS, I don’t know about anyone else, but I think the rainbow was there, I definitely saw you immediately get 20% stronger…and I think in the slow-mo you can see you get your extra life, haha 😉

12. Jerit says:

Beast mode…awesome job Bob-o! Great piece of writing as well! Can’t imagine a better box than 515.

13. Leann says:

Forgot to congratulate you in person today Bobby! Awesome job. Couldn’t agree more with everyones comments. 515 is the place it is because we are lead by a family that is the epitome of what crossfit is meant to be. Yes, it is an insane workout… but so much more in and out of the gym! Loved the piece you wrote. It’s easy to forget that even the best have goals that they struggle to achieve but what’s the saying…we never fail till we quit trying 🙂