6/27/12

Back Squat 7 x 1

Then…………

TABATA Double Unders (Singles) and Rowing (for calories)

June “COOL” Board

***Make some goals for yourself for June

–  Annette – 240# Deadlift
–  Meghan – 260# Deadlift
–  Taylor – 235# Deadlift
–  Drew – 375# Deadlift
–  Justin V. – 160# Snatch
–  Howard – 1st WOD with handstand pushups (2 abmats)
–  Danielle – 1st WOD with handstand pushups (2 abmats)
–  Justin V. – 215# Clean & Jerk
–  Nate – 1st Muscle Up!!!
–  Lindsay – Lost 20 Pounds!
–  Loree – 1st Rope Climb!
–  Kelli – 1st Rope Climb!
–  Leann – 7:26 Mile
–  Michelle – Grace in 1:50
–  Jaime – Grace in 1:41
–  Jaime – Fran in 2:56
–  Jim – Fran in 8:44
–  Kady – Grace in 3:26
–  Justin P. – Grace in 2:48
–  Justin P. – 1st Muscle Up to Ring Handstand Push Up
–  Shelley – Fran in 6:28
–  Leann – 1st Kipping HSPU
–  Kelsey – 1st Kipping Pull Up (then did 3!)
–  Annette – Fran as Rx’d in 12:59
–  Taylor – 10:51 Jackie (4 min PR)
–  Bob J. – Handstand walk 22 feet

13 Responses to 6/27/12

7 x 1 Front Squat (I worked on back squats yesterday): worked up to 255#.

Double Under Tabata: 22

Rowing Tabata: 6 calories

SQT – 3:20

Back Squats: 155-175-195-205-215-225(f)-225(f)
    Tabata Doubleunders: 33
    Tabata Row: 6

Back Squats: 225-255-275-305-325(above parallel)-325(parallel)-325(finally got below parallel)
    …was really focusing on depth of squat this morning, finally got 325 legit.

Tabata Doubleunders: 12…had 30 going into last round 🙁 not cool!

Tabata Row: 7

5. Meghan says:

155# Back squats failed at 165# twice and decided to just end with the 10# PR. Back squats have always been a struggle of mine so I am happy to keep working on them.

Tabata Double Under- 20
    Tabata Row- 5

6. Leann says:

Got around to Christine today as Rx’d:
    15:50, 43 second PR, Plus last time I only did 105# dl’s. Today went bodyweight… little heavier perhaps;) @ 125#’s

• Leann says:

Had a good day… Pr’d by 1:19 on Annie with a time of 8:15. (Thanks for the push Lauren!) and also did 11 rounds + 7 on death by pull ups.

Greetings,
    I thought I’d share this with my CrossFit friends. Ellen Kullman spoke this morning at Pioneer. Pioneer is owned by DuPont, and Ellen (or as I call her, Ell) is the CEO of DuPont. Her presentation, in my opinion, was outstanding. And, I would add, I’m not easily impressed. Ellen is an engineer by training and later earned her MBA. In talking to her, it’s easy to see how she flew up the corporate ranks: she is able to, almost at the snap of a finger, move from strategical vision to tactical decisions. She also knows fairly well the products and processes of the Pioneer business and how they work under the DuPont umbrella. Sadly, I cannot say this about many of the managers under which I work. But, I digress.

The subject of food/food production, for obvious reasons, is always something about which I’m thinking. Similarly, I fight moral dilemmas within myself…am I on the right side? What is the right side? What does the right side even look like? Would I be of better help in looking and working at soil issues, logistical issues. I know it’s Ellen job, but I felt better after listening to her. And she readily admitted that there are many, many questions left to be answered around food and it’s production. I’m going to list some points:

1. Science has to be part of the answer. We have to work, not from emotion, but from logical reasoning: hypothesis to anti-thesis to synthesis…rinse and repeat. And in this process there has to be transparency.
    2. The world population is going to rise, if things continue as they are, to 9 billion people within the next 40 years. To put this into perspective, we are going to have to grow as much food in the next 40 years as we have in the past 8000 years.
    3. People use, at their convenience, different definitions for gmo, for organic. I do have definitive problems with some gmos, but certainly, in my opinion, not all gmos are evil. For example, we have a gmo that can grow in very dry areas. Land is finite and if we’re going to increase production, we’re going to have to grow food in these areas. Similarly, people have all sorts of definitions for organic. Does growing hybrid seed run counter to the definition of organic? There are still many places in the world that plant varietal seed and use open pollination. The coorelation to starvation and this practice runs pretty tight. In introducing hybrid seed, food production in these areas has grown by factors of 3, 4, 5+ times. Does organic mean using mechanical means for crop care such as hoeing, etc.. When I was growing up, I spent my summers hoeing weeds out of beans. We baled hay. We had crews of kids from small towns. But in honesty, people did not want to work that hard. I didn’t want to work that hard! Filling crews became harder and harder. And through the use of chemicals, caring for growing plants has become easier and easier. I need to point out here that this is one of the areas of GMO products that I have the biggest problem with.
    4. Our foodsheds have changed dramatically over the past 20 years and will continue to do so. A foodshed is defined as the geographical footprint necessary to provide food to feed a center of population. Therefore, as populations become increasingly concentrated, politics will play an increasing role in determining which foodsheds are used for which population centers…very similar to the determination of water rights. Along this same issue is soil, but I’m going to save this issue for another post. I should point out that I agree wholey in purchasing locally. My brother grows vegetables for sale at local grocery stores and farmers market. But, logistics quickly come into play. Certain vegetables do not store well. Certain vegetables are seasonal. Certain vegetables do not travel well. Everything is hunky-dory when you’re in season, but what happens during winter or the non-growing part of the year? What happens with drought? Do we continue to think locally at that point? Or do we broaden our approach? Logistics are probably the biggest reasons that food grains (corn, soy, wheat) are so prominent in our current food chain. I am certainly not going to address the nutritional value of corn…not gonna do it. But with corn, I can control it’s height on the stalk (making mechanical harvesting very easy). I know that if I dry it down to 15% moisture that I can store it for a year. I can easily transport it. I can easily process it…and suddenly it’s a value added product.
    5. Food, for the most part, is considered a commodity…I’m talking vegetables and not meat. There is a price point at which we won’t pay any more or will be really pissy about doing so. Governments realize this and most have informal “common agricultural policies”, mechanisms in place to keep staple food products at fairly consistent prices.

Okay, this is long enough. And I don’t think there is a common theme in what I wrote. But, I wanted to throw this out there. Comments? Thoughts? Ideas?

• Lindsay says:

Thanks for posting this, Todd! Sounds like an interesting presentation. I don’t have much to add, but I think there is a disconnect between how many of us (crossfitters) think about food on a micro level (what we feed ourselves and our families) vs a macro level (what is sustainable and feasible to feed the entire population).

I’m not smart enough to come up with any proposed solutions. I think you might be though 😉

• Annette says:

I agree with Lindsay … on all points. I wish I could have heard the presentation as well. You should convince your good friend Ell to give a TED presentation!

I have so many thoughts on this issue I don’t know where to start. I am in no way qualified to offer solutions, either, but I have thoughts …

“Science has to be part of the answer.”
      From the perspective of the CEO of DuPont, yeah, she sees the world’s booming population as a way to grow her company. Her interest in this subject is not entirely humanitarian. From where she stands, this must seem like the answer: how can we grow more corn? We have to be careful believing that we can outsmart this population thing with hacks. The Titanic was unsinkable and sank. The consequences of growing crops where they weren’t meant to be grown is unknown, isn’t it? The word “sustainable” gets thrown around a lot, and I surely don’t know how to ensure that, but that’s got to be the goal, right? Not just next month’s financials to investors … but for generations to come.

On this subject, I vote whole-heartedly for transparency. I am very glad to hear that she addressed it. It is wrong that even an educated and interested consumer cannot know with certainty what they are eating these days. The stuff that gets marketed and passed on to the poor and unsuspecting is near criminal. The health care crisis we are seeing (with no end in sight) in this country is in no small part to the lack of nutrition in the standard American diet. Food is not just about calories.

I don’t fully understand what GMOs are, and admit to maybe being victim to the scare tactics of the natural & organic lobby, but it strikes me that eating something that is “roundup ready” might not be the best thing for my body?? Am I roundup ready? Is there any way to avoid it anymore? The lack of transparency was my issue with the pink-slime beef. I am not opposed to the existence of this product, but I am mad that I am not allowed to know if I am consuming it or not. I want the right to choose.

Perhaps I’ve being naïve, but I say there is value in the wisdom of traditional peoples … the endless arguments over the “perfect human diet” cannot be won because I’m not convinced there is one. Humans have evolved to thrive in environments as disparate as the tropics of the equator and the frozen tundra of Iceland and everything in between. Being resourceful with what the planet provides, utilizing the knowledge passed down through generations. The advent of grain-based agriculture is what led to this population boom isn’t it? Well, that and the arm of modern medicine that quiets the symptoms of ill-health and prolongs life too long. We have a circular problem here, don’t we?

I am reminded of a story I read (I wish I could cite the source but I can’t remember where??) … about a humanitarian organization that sought to help a suffering geographic area struggling in difficult conditions. Lots of discussion went into how to round up the external resources to provide this village with the kinds of things we find necessary in order to help them. It was going to be a real challenge. Someone suggested looking into the practices of those doing well: children were growing, families were healthy. What were they doing differently? Identifying the common factors to success provided the foundation for educating others and turned the village around without a massive undertaking of unsustainable intervention from the outside. A sustainable solution for a fraction of the dollars.

I was strongly influenced by Barbara Kingsolver’s book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle where she chronicles her family’s effort to source all of their food locally for an entire year. Much of the political, economic and scientific stuff regarding agriculture was too big for me to wrap my head around – you know just what you are trying to figure out, Todd – but she really got to me with the eat local idea. I am by no means a purist on this one … but I’ve made great strides in the past few years. I know and appreciate food on a WHOLE NEW LEVEL after taking the time to understand what grows here and when and appreciate eating more by the season. She makes it all sound so romantic and idyllic that I was going on & on about it when I read it. My mom did not hesitate to share how HARD it was to live off your land and how much she prefers popping into Fareway for a cartful of groceries weekly or McDonald’s for a cheap value meal. You’re right, we don’t want to work that hard and we don’t want to go without strawberries in February. She doesn’t gloss over the work it took to prepare for winter (canning vegetables & processing chickens for example) or how eagerly she anticipated spring! I should re-read it, maybe I would catch even more of the bigger picture this time around. Along with a couple of other titles I’ve been meaning to get to … Hot, Flat & Crowded by Friedman has been on the shelf for ages now. Worth reading?

Thanks for sharing, Todd. I don’t think you are working for the wrong side and I love that you are thinking about it all and whether you were really hoping for my two cents or not, you got it. I second Lindsay’s position that we need smart guys (who care about the bigger picture) working on this one before it’s too late.

8. Ben says:

got to a 330 squat which was a 15lb pr. put 350 on and almost got it. i can get this weight!

tabata double unders – 30