2/22/12

Make Up/Challenge/Skill DAY

February “Cool” Board

***Make some goals for yourself for February

–  Leann – 10 Consecutive Pull Ups
–  Mindy – 21 Consecutive Pull Ups
–  Michelle – 22 Consecutive Pull Ups
–  Erica – 1st Ring Dip (who knew ;))
–  RossBoss – 275# Clean & Jerk
–  Bobby – 255# Clean & Jerk
–  Annette – 1st Kipping HSPU
–  Ash – 23 Consecutive HSPU’s
–  Anne – 1st Pull Up!
–  Bobby – 300# Front Squat
–  Bobby – 275# Bench Press
–  Michelle – 160# Clean & Jerk
–  Mike – 465# Deadlift
–  Tara – 100# Snatch
–  Jaime – 6 Consecutive Muscle Ups
–  Justin – 1st Muscle Up Ever!
–  Andrew A. – 2 Consecutive Muscle Ups
–  Jaime – 2 Consecutive Strict Muscle Ups
–  Billy – Clean & Jerk 225#
–  Missy – 1st Pull Up!!
–  Travis – 415# Deadlift
–  Ben – 1st Strict Muscle Up!
–  Ash – 245# Power Clean
–  Bobby – 245# Power Clean
–  Ash – 47 Consecutive Pull Ups
–  Ash – 55″ Box Jump
–  Kylie – 1st Toes2Bar
–  Fred – 5 Consecutive Pull Ups
–  Travis B. – 1 Month of CrossFit/Down 17#/Becoming a CrossFit BADA$$
–  Heidi – 1st Workout as Rx’d!
–  Billy – 405# Deadlift
–  Ash – 475# Deadlift
–  Fred – 295# Backsquat
–  Andrew – 285# Backsquat

–  B.S. Noyce – 275# Overhead Squat
–  Ben – 3:01 Fran!!

21 Responses to 2/22/12

WHAAT…Is that a new sled?!?! Thanks to Lance’s friend for making it 🙂 Can’t wait to try it out!

2. Travis B says:

Today’s manufactured sled workout – 14:06

53# KB

This workout really humbled me. My abs are WEAK. Could only do one round of GHD sit-ups then went to regular. I still have a LONG way to go. But, as the old cliche says, “Rome, (or is it Paris) wasn’t built in a day.”

That sled is evil. I can’t wait until we tie a rope that and have to pull it around the room.

Yesterday – 7x1ish OH Squat – 135-155-165-175-185(f) – 190(5#PR)- 135×10 reps

Then…
    Crossfit Moms Workout (yea, that’s right!) w/ Tara – 11:00
    5 rounds:
    10 Hang Power Clean (95#)
    10 Push Press
    10 OH Squat

Shoulders!

Sled WOD, 2 rounds of: 60 ft. sled push (6 45# plates), 53# one arm kb snatch, 60 ft. sled push, and 20 ghd situps. 11:13.

That is the hardest I’ve pushed my legs in a long time! And I got a little light headed. Don’t hold your breath while pushing the sled! This quote kept coming to mind: “…I dreamt I was as light as the ether- a floating spirit visiting things to come.”

Thanks for the push Bobby.

And thanks to Lance’s friend! great addition to the gym.

5. Byron says:

Morning 515–it’s a rest day and let’s just say the rest is needed. With the soreness and nice sunshine yesterday afternoon I opted to run 5.5 in 45 mins. instead of WOD. So I’m soliciting advice:

Angie, much like Cindy, wrecked my lats and shoulders. I take time to rollout and use the pain ball post WOD and usually while watching TV at home but in spite of looking like a pansy the level of soreness is a “10 out of 10.” So I know I’m not the only upper 30’s guy @ 515 and surely someone else experiences this level of soreness too. So I’m asking for any advice on recovery and the like. Naturally weighing 213 is a factor, no question, but I promise I eat fairly clean yet realize this is my general weakness. Flexibility is the next culprit but again I do take the mobility WODs seriously and am making attempts to address this on-going problem. Or maybe I am just a pansy and should suck it up!

• Lindsay says:

Have you tried Xtend? Or any other recovery type powder / drink? I think it makes a huge difference in soreness and recovery

• Billy says:

I use the Extend recovery drink and I think that has helped me a lot. If I’m really sore after a heavy lifting day or after something like 300+ body squats, I take a glutamine tablet also. Glutamine, not Glucosamine. You can get the glutamine at about any grocery store or pharmacy…I get it at Wal-Mart…the SAUCE also helps! In all seriousness, the antler velvet has a lot of tissue regenerating properties that help a ton with recovery and joint health, which is very important for us older guys…the stuff really does work well. Check it out by googling, southern cross antler velvet.

• Shelley says:

I agree with Lindsay. I also think Xtend lessens the soreness I feel. Having said that, I still definitely feel the after effects of Angie today.

• John Jackovin says:

I am technically upper 30’s, but don’t get that sore anymore. I eat as much protein as I can find. Typically have a whey protein shake after my workouts. I use milk (I know don’t kill me its not paleo), bananas (I know high sugar content), whey protein (no idea) and ice (totally paleo since 10k years ago we had an ice age, my guess is ice was a huge component of their diet). Seems to work for me. Of course let’s see what I say after my sled pushing debacle today.

• Byron says:

Greatly appreciate all the input Billy, Lindsay, Shelley and John!

I definitely cram in the protein. John your shake sounds like my breakfast. I should consume it post WOD huh?

I haven’t tried Xtend (isn’t that a male-enhancement product?). I know a lot of people like the Progenics too. Sounds like I should give one a go.

• Ross V.M. says:

Byron,
      Myofascial release (foam roller, pvc rolling, ball rolling, etc.) is KEY. Since you do roll a lot, my second recommendation would be fish oil. I take 10 fish oil pills a day, it really helps with joint soreness, and soreness in general.

• Ross V.M. says:

And also I totally agree with John, getting protein and nutrients into the system post workout will definitely help. He basically described what is, in my mind, a perfect post workout meal (milk being optional, definitely not paleo though) of protein and some carbs to help facilitate the delivery of the protein….I go with 50g’s protein and some source of carbs…

• Byron says:

I’ll get on the fish oil. Looks like Rogue has a new version out. Doubling up on the rolling. Yea Burpees!!

Sled WOD Rx’d – 7:31

This was actually a lot of fun, always enjoy mixing it up. The sled really adds intensity to the leg workout

Worked on low bar back squats prior to the WOD. Still trying to find a comfort point with the bar and my arms.

7. John Jackovin says:

Sled WOD. Awful @ 9:44. Wow, like someone beat me with a lead pipe. I feel good that I did it tho.

8. Bart says:

Well great timing! I ended up getting sick. Went to the dr today, bacterial infection in the lungs. Hopefully Ill be good to go by Sunday. Good luck to everyone doing the first open WOD tomorrow. Ill come in at noon to cheer you guys on.

• Ross V.M. says:

Bart, you are not alone my friend. I’m hoping I’ll be able to get this one in but for sure the score is going to be suffering no matter what at this point……sorry to hear about the bacterial infection man! I hope you get better fast, good luck!