2/13/12

Front squat 3-3-3-3-3 reps

Post loads to comments.

Then……………

SURPRISE

February “Cool” Board

***Make some goals for yourself for February

–  Leann – 10 Consecutive Pull Ups
–  Mindy – 21 Consecutive Pull Ups
–  Michelle – 22 Consecutive Pull Ups
–  Erica – 1st Ring Dip (who knew ;))
–  RossBoss – 275# Clean & Jerk
–  Bobby – 255# Clean & Jerk
–  Annette – 1st Kipping HSPU
–  Ash – 23 Consecutive HSPU’s
–  Anne – 1st Pull Up!
–  Bobby – 300# Front Squat
–  Bobby – 275# Bench Press
–  Michelle – 160# Clean & Jerk
–  Mike – 465# Deadlift
–  Tara – 100# Snatch
–  Jaime – 6 Consecutive Muscle Ups
–  Justin – 1st Muscle Up Ever!
–  Andrew A. – 2 Consecutive Muscle Ups
–  Jaime – 2 Consecutive Strict Muscle Ups
–  Billy – Clean & Jerk 225#
–  Missy – 1st Pull Up!!
–  Travis – 415# Deadlift
–  Ben – 1st Strict Muscle Up!
–  Ash – 245# Power Clean
–  Bobby – 245# Power Clean
–  Ash – 47 Consecutive Pull Ups
–  Ash – 55″ Box Jump
–  Kylie – 1st Toes2Bar
–  Fred – 5 Consecutive Pull Ups
–  Travis B. – 1 Month of CrossFit/Down 17#/Becoming a CrossFit BADA$$
–  Heidi – 1st Workout as Rx’d!
–  Billy – 405# Deadlift

28 Responses to 2/13/12

1. Annette says:

Front Squat: Worked up to 125(f), 120(1, f) – finished w/ 115(3x) 10# PR.
    Surprise: 3:50 Blue b/c I didn’t read the board carefully! It’s time for me to step up on that one.

Nice pics, Bobby and look at the cool board … WOW! It’s going to be fun watching you guys destrominate (is that it?) these WODs in the next few weeks!

Front squat: worked up to 235. Felt good and got full r.o.m..

Surprise wod: 5:25…I think. I know I was over 5.

Good way to start the week.

Yesterday – 2011 Open 11.5 – 10 rds + 1 TTB

At least I think it was 10 rds…there was some confusion afterwards whether it was 10 or 11 rds…either way I was well over a round better than last year during the open.

And I am happy to announce I am officially part Buckshark, starting this morning. Looking forward to unleashing the beast.

4. Travis B says:

Front squat – Worked up to 185#

Really need to work on my range of motion there.

Suprise

RX’d at 9:14 or 34 or something of the sort.

Today:

PR on Handstand walk – 72′ – just a few square’s shy of the length of the gym.

Front Squat – PR 250# (x1) – I was really working on totally bottoming out, so that I can build up that strength for King Kong.

Surprise – 4:44 Rx’d

6. Byron says:

Front Squat—275#–went parallel, three knee surgeries on the left side have limited my range of motion beyond parallel but working on it. I feel like I can front squat more weight by my lack of flexibility keeps me from a good rack position. Hard to keep weight up with elbows down. Working on that too…I need someone torture me by putting pressing down on a bar or something.

Surprise WOD–3:23–thanks for doing it with me Jaime!

• Justin says:

Byron – I have similar issues with keeping the weight back in the rack and not leaning forward. Some things I have been doing lately is doing warm up sets and sitting at the bottom of the squat for 5 seconds before I come up. I usually work up to around 75% or so of my 1RM. I focus on technique and being comfortable/stronger where I feel the weakest and most prone to tipping forward (ie coming out of the bottom of the squat). I have been doing this with front, overhead and back squats recently and it has helped a lot. If anything it really has helped my hip flexibility and has helped me hammer the full movement into my muscle memory (chest up!).

• Justin says:

/chest up/ – unless you are Bobby who has perfected the terrifying 415# back squat/good morning. Not recommended tho…at least not yet for me 🙂

• Byron says:

Great advice! I need to start using the pause method. When I used to bench a lot this really helped me move more weight. Good thinking!

And because I benched a lot my shoulders and lats limit my flexibility so I need step up on the box and use the bar to work on the rack position.

No low bar squatting for me either.

• Annette says:

That’s what I need to hear, too. I’ve been wondering all day how I can improve. I always thought of my legs as strong (before oly lifts came into my life) and feel like I should be better at squatting. (This is probably an unreasonable assumption without putting in some work on technique.)

When I read your suggestion to pause at the bottom of the squat it ** crystalized ** for me just how scary I find that position with weight on the bar. I came in today thinking the exact opposite, “just get below parallel and rebound right out of there”. I can see now that as soon as the weight got a little heavy for me, I bounced forward with no stability and no chance for recovery.

I’m going to need a lot of reps to build strength and get comfortable down there!!

• Travis B says:

I like the idea of the pause at the bottom with little weight too. I could just barely get to parallel then jumped out of the squat. I need to get more confident and stronger with the overall form and range of motion. Definitely will be trying this. Thanks!

7. Mindy says:

Front Squat 5×3 worked my way up to 150#

Surprise wod rx’d 4:38

8. Michelle says:

5 x 3 front squat 150, 160, 170, 175, 180

surprise WOD 3:48

Front Squats – worked up to 255# with good ROM

Surprise WOD Rx’d – 4:06

10. John Jackovin says:

255# for one rep. Leaning too far forward. Did 235# for 3. Surprise WOD 3:40 I think.

15 AMRAP from last Sunday (Push Press, OHS, GHD situps) – 6 rds + 5 PP

then,
    Front Squats: 135-145-155-165(1,f)-165
    Surprise WOD: 3:42

2011 Crossfit Open WOD 11.5 – 12rds + 6 reps

BRUTAL!!!!!

13. Ross V.M. says:

Front Squat:
    225×3
    255×3
    275×3
    295×3
    305×3 (PR, last time hit 295 for 2)

Then:
    Surprise WOD: 4:09
    Great way to start the week off! Special shout-out to Ash for doing the WOD with me even though he only wants to lift weights now….

14. Tara says:

Yesterday did 11.5 Open WOD. I had tracked 11 Rds plus 4 cleans but as Justin stated there was confusion with numbers and so I did 10 rds or maybe 11. In 2011, did 9 rd plus 2 wall balls so an improvement either way! 🙂

15. Kylie says:

Front Squats: #175! Was feeling strong today.
    Then did the surprise WOD Rx’d, 5-6 something…
    I dont remember. Good day for Kylie! 🙂

Front Squats
    135-185-225-255-285 (I think that is a 40# PR from September)

Then