9/19/10

WOD

?????????

Train for the Unknown and Unknowable……..you will find out if you come

Cool Points Standings:
1. Bobby Noyce –140
2. Will O. –130
3. Lindsay Noyce –130
4. Justin Vaught – 115
5. Jaime Maro – 85
6. Jim Noyce – 80
7. Carolyn Grammers– 65
8. Shelley Noyce – 45
9. Nate Christensen – 40
10. Andi Christenson – 25
11. Kam Kielhorn – 10
12. Angie Starmer – 10

CQOD:  What is the Spanish word for “Sunday”?  (25 Cool Points)

14 Responses to 9/19/10

1. Pingback: Twitted by crossfitnews

2. Katie claeys says:

Domingo!!!!

• Katie claeys says:

Damn you Nate!

• Bobby says:

Nate is cool, but looking at the times posted I will assume Katie did not know the answer yet…..so I will give an extra 10 points out of pitty hahaha…..but you are also the first to swear on our message board, therefore I am taking away 5 of those points hahahah

3. Nate says:

Oh and if I haven’t shared this link already

K Starr is my hero and knows crossfit. He gives this simple wod everyday to keep you functioning properly, awesome.

4. Nate says:

Also, last one promise. Anyone that uses zone/paleo type diet. Have you ever exponentially increased the fat and what where your results? I am talking around the lines of 4-6x the recommended amount of fat. I have been experimenting over the last week and just want to hear some feed back from people if they have ever attempted it.

• Bobby says:

K Starr is the man!!!!!

As you know I don’t really follow any “named” diet persay, but I have been eating less carbs than usual, and I have found that I can get the same effect energy wise with about 3 times the normal fat that I used to take in. As well as
      I don’t have to eat a freaking feast at every meal to get my calories. I still don’t understand how people have any energy to workout if they don’t eat at least some carbs, I think it might have something to do with my body not carrying enough fatty deposits to self-fuel itself, but that is just my theory. Some day I will learn right Nate 🙂

• Bobby says:

Also, I am sure you have already read this, but I read that once your bodyfat gets below about 5% when you are on the paleo diet that you need to increase your fat intake from 3 times to 5 times as much, which I am sure is what you are talking about. How is it going for you by the way?

• Nate says:

That is kind of what I am trying to figure out is that if an athlete. You for example extremely low levels of bodyfat can eat a one to two day refeed high carbs lower glycemic mix with some higher glycemic on say a saturday or sunday then on monday switch right back to carbs from only veggies and fruits with higher protein and high fat. And increase performance due to having more glycogen in the system from the refeed.

• Nate says:

Then a person like me higher bodyfat percentage just go carbs from veggies and fruits, higher protein higher fat(this modified dependent on bodyfat levels) and still get better and better performance while losing bodyfat, since I have more energy to draw from due to fatty stores.

• Will says:

As someone who spent way too much time weighing and measuring Zone blocks, I gots some answers for you. I’ve experimented with all flavors of the Zone and at one point was eating 5x the prescribed fat blocks. Zone, in its purest form (LBM *.7 / 7 = total blocks) is hypocaloric. The idea is that you are consuming enough calories to support lean mass but not excess fat. Because of the hormonal regulation effect of the Zone (provided your blocks are coming from quality foods), your primary source of fuel becomes the excess fat stored on your body, hence the reason Dr. Sears says that, although the Zone is not intended to be a fat-loss diet, it is an effective one. Once a person begins reaching their ideal BF%, fat blocks are added to provide a caloric buffer which fuels activity so that muscle is not cannibalized to make up for the deficit. Typically, people start experimenting with upping the fat at around 10% BF. For men, that is right around when you start to see your abs. It’s not until you reach your maintenance weight that you really start upping the fat to 3-5x. The effect I saw was…no effect. That’s the way it should work if done right; you don’t gain fat and you don’t lose muscle. I’ve got two Zone books if you’d like to borrow them.

• Nate says:

I read those and the only issue I have with Sears is the use of heavily processed carbs in the diet along with using lunch meat type meats as protein sources.

• Will says:

This is a common criticism and Sears didn’t really make it clear in the book. Eating “Zone” is just defined by the ratio of macronutrients you consume. Ideally, those nutrients would come from quality foods. Sears doesn’t advocate eating crappy foods but gives a couple examples in the book to show that one can still technically eat Zone proportions with crap food, and enjoy life once in a while. He also emphasizes the fact that real food contains significantly more vitamins/minerals than processed foods and is less calorically dense so that you can eat more and feel more full. If you are eating a four block meal, you can either choose to eat a mere 4oz of pasta for your carbohydrate or you can eat 1.5 cups of broccoli, an apple, 11 asparagus spears, AND 2 cups of squash which would contain the same amount of carbohydrate (although technically less when taking the dietary fiber into account.)